A Short History of Moore Allen & Innocent
The firm of Moore Allen & Innocent has deep roots, dating back to 1845 when Mr. C.F. Moore conducted his first property auction at the Bathurst Arms, North Cerney. During the 18th and 19th centuries, the auctioneer performed a very important role in the rural community. Not only was he employed to sell livestock and farm produce, but the majority of the sales of freehold property at that time took place by auction. Almost every town or large village had a cattle market. In this area, Cirencester, Tetbury, Cricklade, Highworth, Fairford and Lechlade were just a few.
The present firm owes its origins to the cattle markets in Cirencester and Lechlade. The firm of Moore and Hill was in business in 1852, operating Cirencester cattle market (then in the town’s market place) from offices in the Corn Hall buildings. At Lechlade, the old cattle market was revived in 1873 and in 1885 it was run by Messrs. Innocent & Son. In 1915, following the death of Mr. C.F. Moore, Mr. C. Allen and Mr. B.F. Innocent combined their businesses to form a Partnership called C.F. Moore, Allen & Innocent. In 1939 the firm took on the current name of Moore Allen & Innocent.
Over the years, the priorities of Moore Allen & Innocent have altered in line with the demands of a changing world. After 150 years, the livestock market in Cirencester was closed in 1996. Since then the business has expanded in other directions to form today’s modern, independent and multi-disciplined firm of Chartered Surveyors. On 1st January 2017, we were pleased to merge with Tetbury-based Graham Singer Chartered Surveyors, highly regarded in the agricultural sector as well as bringing with them a wealth of knowledge in the field of residential development.
- Artist who cocked a snook at British imperialism makes top price at auction
19th March 2018
- BPS 2018
27th February 2018
- Far Eastern antiques dominate first auction of Chinese new year
27th February 2018